In 1870, the University of Pennsylvania moved across the city to occupy West Philadelphia. College Hall was the university's first building, followed by many of the buildings to house the medical school including classroom buildings, labs, Wistar Institute, and the Penn Museum. However, P&SP's research on the current campus pertains to the Quadrangle Dorms.
The Quadrangle Dormitory nicknamed 'The Quad', consists of 3 Residential Houses: Riepe, Ware, and Fisher Hassenfeld. The structure was the first major dormitory built on campus. While there were many academic buildings on campus, there were no official dormitories. Many students were Philadelphia locals who commuted to campus. Otherwise, students lived with family or friends in Philadelphia or stayed in boarding houses off-campus. The Quad was built in two separate parts: 1894-1930 and 1953-1959. The structure was intended to attract prospective students who lived farther away and help attending students foster a sense of community.