The University of Pennsylvania was founded in Old City, Philadelphia, on the corner of 4th & Arch St. Construction of the first building (left) began in 1740. The building was originally designed as a church for George Whitefield but was left unfinished when he, and many of his supporters, left Philadelphia. In 1750, the Trustees of Franklin's Academy purchased the building for the school's campus. Robert Smith was hired to repurpose the church and although classes began in 1751, Smith did not complete the renovations until 1755. Smith continued on to complete several more projects for the university, including building the dormitory (right) in 1763.